Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 11, Remembered

I really enjoyed yesterday. K-Bull 93 did a tribute to 9/11 where they mixed songs with calls from victims of the attacks from the people on the plane that took it back and crashed in the field or Virgina to calls made by children who lost a parent or parents to the attacks. As I listened to these with my children I retold them of what had happened on that day 9 years ago. We also pulled out my flag that is titled "flag of honor" that has all the names of the victims printed on it and proudly flew it outside on our flag pole.
I also was able to watch the commercial that Budweiser aired during the Superbowl that year that I sadly missed. As I watched this commercial of the Claude Dales kneeling in front of the statue of Liberty I still get chills because of how reverent that moment is.
I will never forget that day and will do all that I can to make sure that my children don't either. My oldest was only 4 months old when it happened but he knows about it because I make sure that he and Xia know why it is Patriots day and why all those that were lost were so important to us.
I can still recall to this day what I was doing at the time of the attacks. I was at the time opening for Learning Tree and was at work at 6:00 in the morning all of my parents were coming in talking about the planes that went down and I just kept thinking this is nothing new because there had been so many stories of plane crashes in the news that I just kind of brushed it off. Then I get a call from Amy and she says to me "we aren't talking about the plane crashes" so I asked her what the big deal was and she said that two planes had just crashed into the twin towers and our nation was under attack. I remember feeling so alone at the time and just wanting to hold my baby in my arms and know that everything was going to be okay. Then when I got home from school and was able to see the news coverage for the first time of all of the people jumping out of the buildings and running from the scene. I kept on trying to figure out why someone would want to cause so much pain to so many people.
While I was telling this to my kids in the car with tears in my eyes I still cannot answer the one question that they asked "why did someone want to hurt all those people" I wish I had the answer but I still don't.
I have great pride for this nation of ours and all the freedoms that so many others don't get. I am grateful to all the armed forces for all that they do to keep my family and me free and safe. I hope that my children never have to feel the sorrow that the whole nation felt on the fateful day 9 years ago.

I WILL NEVER FORGET AND MAKE SURE THAT MY CHILDREN NEVER FORGET THOSE THAT LOST THEIR LIVES ON 9/11/01

No comments:

Post a Comment